Apple has not made any major changes to the exterior design, but there are a number of changes on the inside…
- Preloaded with iPhone OS 3.0 (available to existing 2G and 3G iPhone users from June 17th)
- 3-megapixel autofocus camera with tap-to-focus
- Faster processor to load and run applications quicker
- Support for 7.2Mbps HSDPA (hence the ‘S’ in the product name)
- Switch to swap between camera mode and video recording – with VGA capture at 30 frames per second
- Voice control – tell the phone what to do, or who to call
- Digital (electronic) compass
- Data encryption & remote data wiping for extra security
- Accessibility options (improved contrast mode etc)
- Increased battery life: 9 hours Internet, 10 hours Video playback, 30 hours music playback, 12 hours GSM talktime or 5 hours 3G talktime
- Eco-friendly design and components
- 16GB and 32GB versions
- Black and white variants on the 3G S models only
- Low cost option with existing 8GB model (without new features above) remaining on sale for the near future
- New 16GB and 32GB models on sale in UK from Friday June 19, 2009
The iPhone 3G S will be sold by Apple, O2 and The Carphone Warehouse with prices ranging from £342.50-£535.30 on Pay & Go, to Free-£274.23 on a monthly contract.
Data tethering (allowing users to use their iPhone as a modem when connected to a PC) will be offered with a Data Tethering Bolt On; 3GB for £14.68 a month or 10GB for £29.36 a month. This will include unlimited Wi-Fi access via The Cloud.
The Carphone Warehouse is inviting people to pre-register online for their iPhone 3G S from this Wednesday.
Mobile News will have more information and comment on Tuesday June 9.
Click here for comment