Operator confirms customers in East and North London, Essex and Kent were unable to access 2G and 3G services this morning
O2 has confirmed its customers in parts of East and North London, Essex and Kent were unable to use 2G and 3G services today (June 10) due to planned engineering work.
The work was carried out the robustness of the operator’s network following theft and vandalism to one of its sites in East London on May 17.
An O2 spokesperson said: “At 10 o’clock this morning we identified a connectivity issue on our network which affected both 2G and 3G service in parts of East London, North London, Kent and Essex.
“Some customers in these areas may have experienced difficulty in making or receiving mobile calls, texts or using data.
“Service was restored at 10.50am. We apologise to those customers affected and we continue to monitor service from the site.”
At the time of the original outage O2 said a well organised theft targeted the operations site in the early hours of May 17 leaving people in the previously mentioned areas without signal.
After the theft took place an O2 spokesperson said the operator had extensive continuity plans which it is bringing into effect now but that the nature of the theft has prevented it from restoring service immediately.