More than 67,000 people attend, with next year’s annual trade show moving to a venue 50 per cent bigger in Barcelona
The GSMA has said more than 67,000 people attended this year’s Mobile World Congress in Barcelona – a record for the annual trade show and 7,000 more than the attendance last year.
Delegates came from 205 countries as opposed to 200 last year with 3,500 CEOs attending, up from 3,000 in 2011.
The Congress hosted more than 1,500 exhibiting companies – around 100 more than at last year’s event – with occupied floor space growing almost 20 per cent to 70,500 net square-metres.
More than 3,300 international print, online and broadcast media attended – around 400 more compared to last year.
MWC 2013 will move to the Fira de Barcelona Gran Via, which is 50 per cent bigger than this’s year’s venue. The event takes place from February 25-28.
GSMA CEO John Hoffman said: “The 2012 Mobile World Congress was a phenomenal success, by any measure. The record numbers that attended this year’s event underscore how central mobile is to the lives of people around the world.
“This is also illustrated by the breadth of companies that participated at Mobile World Congress, with representation from not only the traditional mobile industry players, but companies from vertical sectors such as automotive, health and finance, among others. It’s exciting to see the powerful role mobile has in driving innovation in new markets.”
The GSMA said that according to a preliminary economic analysis just completed, the broken attendance records led to this year’s MWC contributing more that €300 million to the local economy, an increase of more than €25 million over the economic impact of 2011’s event.
Hoffman added: “The Mobile World Congress is an important contributor to the Barcelona economy, and as a key pillar of the Mobile World Capital Barcelona, it is a positive factor in driving new opportunities for companies and individuals in the city and region.”