Operator says it is looking to shorten the gap between when itself and EE can launch LTE in the UK
O2 has confirmed it is in talks with telecoms regulator Ofcom and the Government to accelerate the roll out of its 4G services in the UK.
An O2 spokesman told Mobile News the operator was looking to shorten the gap between when itself and rival operator EE could go live with LTE.
O2 said no timeline had been set for when this was achieved, only to add that it was looking to do this as soon as possible.
EE unveiled its 4G network on Tuesday, with plans to connect 16 major UK with upgraded speeds before the end of the year. Live testing and systems integration in London, Bristol, Cardiff and Birmingham has begun in preparation for the customer launch.
On August 21, EE was given the go-ahead by Ofcom to launch 4G on its existing 1800MHz spectrum. At the time, an O2 spokesperson said: “The majority of customers will be excluded from the first wave of digital services. The decision undermines the competitive environment for 4G in the UK.”
At the end of last month, O2 refused to comment on reports that it was set to launch legal action to prevent EE from doing this.