Chinese iPhone user in coma after second electrocution incident

0
529

Electric shock from charger sends iPhone 4 owner into coma, while air stewardess also said to have died from electrocution after answering iPhone 5 while charging

A 30-year-old Beijing man has been electrocuted while charging his iPhone 4, sending him into a coma which has so far lasted 10 days.

Wu Jiantong is now breathing unassisted and receiving treatment after doctors diagnosed that the electric shock was the cause of his injuries.

Wu’s sister told local reporters that she heard her brother shout “I’m being electrocuted” while connecting his handset to a charger, and then found him convulsing and foaming at the mouth.

It is the second high profile incident related to Apple chargers this week, a 23-year-old air stewardess died after being electrocuted when answering a call on her iPhone 5 while it was charging. Investigators are yet to establish what type of charger was used.

The charger, which was not damaged and is reported to have not been an official Apple product, was unplugged by Wu’s sister who claimed to feel the electric current run through her body before calling paramedics.

In a statement, Apple said: “It was with great sadness we learned through press reports that a Beijing customer was injured while using a “knock off” or counterfeit charger and we are looking into this further.

“Our customers’ safety is very important to us and we have carefully designed all Apple products to meet government safety standards. We recommend our customers only purchase Apple products from Apple or authorised Apple resellers.”

NO COMMENTS

LEAVE A REPLY