Simon Stanford leaves Samsung

1
1298

Manufacturer confirms UK and Ireland boss has been replaced by Rob Orr with immediate effect 

Samsung UK and Ireland VP of Mobile and IT Simon Stanford has left the business after five years following weeks of speculation surrounding his future.

Stanford (pictured) has been replaced by VP of European Enterprise Business Rob Orr, who joined the company in June 2013 having spent seven years at BlackBerry. For the last 10 months of his time there he headed up the manufacturer’s UK and Ireland operations.

Samsung said in a statement: “Samsung UK can confirm that Simon Stanford has left the business and that Rob Orr, Vice President of European Enterprise Business at Samsung Electronics will now lead the UK IT & Mobile Division until a permanent appointment is made.

“Samsung is extremely grateful for all that Simon has achieved in his successful 5 years with the business and wishes him all the best for his future endeavours.”

The story was first revealed by Mobile News on June 2, with rumours circulating around the industry that Stanford was leaving the business after five years.

He was said to have been under increased scrutiny from the firms board  of directors – amid reports of poorer than expected sales of the Galaxy S5 (which launched April 11) and concerns around targets and stock placement. There were also claims of Samsung having to refund and collect large quantities of unsold stock from a number of its key reseller partners in recent weeks.

Samsung had declined to comment on the story, but sources claimed Stanford had been riled by the manufacturer’s recent decision to bring in a number of management personnel from its German arm, who were said to be closely monitoring the UK business and the way in which it operates.

According to reports, Stanford had failed to attend an ‘important’ UK management meeting at the end of last month, leading to rumours of an internal bust-up and suggestions he had left.

Speculation over his future continued to mount last week despite Samsung’s insistence his job remains safe.

According to sources close to Samsung, Stanford was last week officially signed-off as “sick” – amid a rumoured investigation into the firm’s trading policies.

A full audit on stock, including sample models and channel placements, was also said to be under way, with a number of staff being questioned – and even temporarily suspended.

It is understood Samsung has already decided to split the firm’s smartphone and tablet division – both headed by Stanford.

And as Mobile News went to press there was confusion surrounding Samsung sales and marketing director Scott Kim, who, it is understood, left the business last month – but was last week seen at Samsung’s head office in Chertsey, Surrey.

1 COMMENT

  1. Samsung has been trying to do this since the new year and rumours are it will be another VP in the business who has no connection to mobile but is a good friend of Andy the MD. They have set Simon up.

LEAVE A REPLY