Coverage in parts of central London has been down for over a week due to electrical fire that has now been put out
Customers on O2 and Vodafone are still experiencing connection problems in central London following an electrical fire in Holborn last week.
Both networks confirmed some users may be receiving little or no signal in the area because of damage to cabling linked to a mast both operators share caused by the fire, which broke out at 12:39pm on April 1 and burned for 36 hours.
Coverage checkers on both Vodafone and O2’s websites showed masts down around Holborn, with a Vodafone spokesperson saying their repair teams had not been allowed to access the tunnels yet. Neither network would confirm how many users had been affected by the disruption.
According to reports, power and gas has now been restored to all but one of the properties in the area, but Vodafone and O2 were unable to confirm when they will get access to the tunnels to restore service.
Around 5,000 people were evacuated when the fire broke out and more than 100 businesses were believed to have been affected. It took around 50 firefighters and six fire engines to fight the blaze, which has also led to several road closures around the local area.
A spokesperson for O2 said: “Some equipment on a number of our sites in the Holborn area has experienced fire damage. Due to health and safety, our third party engineers are currently unable to access the sites to repair/replace the equipment.
“We’re working with the emergency services and our third parties to ensure this is resolved as soon as possible. We apologise for any inconvenience.”
A Three spokesperson said some users had experienced problems when the fire first began but these have now been resolved.