The Exchange Programme began following a global recall of the Note7 on September 2
Samsung has started its Note7 Exchange Programme in the UK today (September 19) following a global recall ignited by fears of the handset catching fire.
The recall was started on September 2 following 35 reports worldwide of the phablet overheating and, in some instances, exploding. A ‘battery cell issue’ was cited by the Korean manufacturer as the cause. It was reported last week that a customer’s Jeep had caught fire after they had left their Note7 on charge inside the vehicle.
Samsung claims the problem has been completely resolved in replacement Note7 devices, which are now being issued to UK customers. Those eligible will be contacted by the retailer or operator they purchased a previous device from to arrange a swap. A loan phone will be provided for those who do not have a temporary handset.
A spokesperson said: “Although there have been only a small number of reported incidents, customer safety is Samsung’s absolute priority. Customers who exchange their device for a new Note7 can be fully confident that their replacement device is not affected by the battery cell issue.”
In addition to the Exchange Programme, Samsung has rolled out various measures to ensure further safety. New software will be issued for all European Note7 devices that were received before the recall. This will limit the phone’s charge to 60 per cent, encouraging customers to exchange it for a new Note7. Customers can also enter their phone’s IMEI number online to confirm if they should request a trade.
Samsung UK & Ireland vice president Conor Pierce said: “Our absolute priority is the safety of our customers – that’s why we are asking all Galaxy Note7 customers to act now and exchange today.
“We would like to apologise to our Note7 customers for not meeting the standard of product excellence that they have come to expect from Samsung and we sincerely thank them for their understanding and patience.”