The Exchange Programme was launched following reports of 35 Note7 devices catching fire
More than 57 per cent of Samsung Galaxy Note7s in Europe have been traded in since the Korean manufacturer began its Exchange Programme earlier this month (September 2).
The company launched the Programme following 35 reports worldwide of the Note7 catching fire. It blamed a ‘battery cell issue’ for the fault. According to Samsung, 90 per cent of customers who swapped an affected device chose to get a replacement model, whilst three per cent picked an alternative Galaxy handset.
Based on the current rate of exchanges, Samsung said it would have the product on sale again throughout Europe from October 28. This is subject to a full completion of the Exchange Programme, however.
Samsung claims the problem has been completely resolved in replacement Note7 devices. Those eligible will be contacted by the retailer or operator they purchased a previous Note7 from to arrange a swap. A loan phone will be provided for those who do not have a temporary handset.
Samsung Europe chief marketing officer David Lowes said: “Our message of safety first is getting through to Galaxy Note7 owners who are doing the right thing by exchanging for a new device quickly and safely.
“We have worked hard to bring replacement Galaxy Note7 phones to Europe so we can ensure the safety of our customers and minimise their inconvenience.”